and "Amazon proof"
McDonald’s is still the dominant player among quick-service restaurants in the United States market from a volume perspective, enjoying an industry-leading market share of approximately 17%. The iconic fast-food chain has over 36,000 locations around the world, including more than 14,000 locations in the U.S. It finished 2016 with annual sales revenue of $24.62 billion and $9.34 billion in earnings.
Since CEO Steve Easterbrook took the top job in March of 2015, McDonald’s Corporation has launched an aggressive turnaround plan with the goal of being recognized by customers as a modern and progressive burger company. The Company prioritized fewer, more strategic initiatives that focused on running better restaurants, driving operational growth, and returning excitement to the brand. It adapted to changing consumer tastes by launching all-day breakfast, switching to never-frozen beef for its Quarter Pounders, offering mobile ordering through its smartphone app, and even partnering with Uber Eats to offer food delivery in major markets where almost 75% of the population live with three miles of a McDonald’s restaurant.
As reflected by improved customer satisfaction measures and same-store sales revenues across most of the major markets, customers have taken notice. The company showed continued strong results in its latest quarter (Q2 2017) with comparable-restaurant sales growth of 6.6% and net income up 28% year over year to $1.39 billion. McDonald’s commitment to quality, convenience, and value combined with a willingness to innovate will ensure the Company’s success for decades to come.
The McDonald’s business model does not rely purely on fast food sales. The company is primarily a franchisor, with approximately 85% of McDonald’s restaurants currently owned and operated by independent franchisees. Franchisees are required to meet rigorous standards and the company generally does not work with passive investors.
McDonald’s owns and leases real estate primarily in connection with its restaurant business. It believes that co-investment with its franchisees produces the best long-term results. The Company identifies and develops sites that offer long-term sales and profit potential to the company. To assess potential, McDonald’s analyzes traffic and walking patterns, census data and other relevant data. The company prefers to own the land and buildings of its locations, but is happy to secure long-term ground leases with land owners if it feels compelled to open a location at a particular site.
Check out full site criteria for McDonald’s free-standing restaurants in the table on the right.
Development Criteria Highlights:
- 50,000 +/- square feet of Land
- Corner or corner wrap w/signage on two major streets.
- Signalized intersection.
- Ability to build up to 4,000 sq. ft.
- Parking to meet all applicable codes.
- Ability to build to a minimum height of 23’4″.
|Average Cap Rate|
(Source: CoStar & proprietary comp data -
Oak Brook, IL
|Locations in the U.S.||
|Average Property & Lease|
|Annual Base Rent||
|Annual Rent PSF||
Fee Simple Land
10% Every 5 Years
(Source: CoStar & proprietary comp data -
Error parsing: Query returned empty response
- Featured Stock: McDonald's Corporation (MCD)
- A Technical Look At 2 Stocks: McDonald's Corporation (MCD), Intec Pharma Ltd …
- Free McDonald's Fries for Apple Pay Users on April 20 & 27
- McDonald's Corporation (NYSE:MCD) Bearish Divergence
- Set Sail With Masco Corporation (MAS), McDonald's Corporation (MCD)
- McDonald's Corporation (NYSE:MCD) Stock Consolidating
- McDonald's the new third place hangout?
- Revenue Approximations Analysis: McDonald's Corporation (MCD), Medical …
- Buy or Sell? – Marathon Oil Corporation, NYSE: MRO), McDonald's Corporation …
- Tottering Stocks – McDonald's Corporation, NYSE: MCD), Brixmor Property Group …
- McDonald's Should Profit from Shrinking Households
- Stolen: Plaques that acknowledge San Bernardino had the first McDonald's …
- Royal Bank Of Canada Has Boosted Mcdonalds (MCD) Holding By $860.24 Million …
- 2 Stocks to keep an eye on Today: McDonald's Corporation (MCD), Tiffany & Co …
- Highly Traded Technology Stocks- Sabre Corporation (NASDAQ:SABR), McDonald's …